Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's The Little Things

Here's one thing that makes the chocolate business worthwhile: helping people show their appreciation. Case in point. A harried unfamiliar customer comes into the shop during the Valentine's insanity. She does not know what she wants and appears impatient. "Stand in line", I think to myself. Luckily I give her my time and careful attention and discover she wishes to bring candy to a nearby nursing home for the staff to thank them for their care of her father. She eventually agrees to buy chocolate covered strawberries. I explain that they are different, special, and will not be soon forgotten. She asks me to just put some in a box, but she does not know how many or which kinds of chocolate (our antique display case holds no less than 12 varieties this week). Obviously, she is stressed out and finds these decisions to be overwhelming. I decide to step in and gently take control. I select a straightforward variety of 3 different strawberries for visual appeal (about 2 dozen in all). I display them attractively, but simply on a silver platter, wrap it securely in cellophane, and tie it with a huge bow. She pays me, I hand it over to her, and she's out the door. "Next!" Back to the crush of people at the counter.

Here's the wonderful part. One week later the customer returns. I happen to be near the front door when she walks in. We greet each other and she moves no further into the shop. She says "I bought chocolate covered strawberries last week..." I brace myself for a complaint. My mind starts to race. "...and I want to tell you how much they were appreciated. Apparently they were delicious. Thank you." I manage to thank her for taking the time to come in and let us know before she adds: "Dad died two days later." I tell her I'm sorry. She has more to say; she is slightly tearful, but finishes by letting me know how grateful she was for our help with the strawberry platter. Then she turns and is out the door. Little things like that make me feel really good about going to work in a chocolate shop. Every day.

1 comment:

docreport said...

I'd say you handled that well...